Jimm O'Donnell's family used to run this ski area in Millers Falls. He wrote the following article about the history of this classic family operation. The rope tow still operates in a different location by the family.
Notch Ski Area was operated by Henry and Betty Waidlich on their property in
Millers Falls MA. The area was open for some 12 or so years over a period
spanning two decades, between 1945 and 1965. “We opened in 1945, I think,”
says Betty, “and ran it for about eight years; then we closed for a few years
and opened again for another four years.” The Waidlichs charged a dollar a day
for the use of their three rope tows, “but kids would say that their parents
had forgotten to give them money, and of course we’d let them ski anyway,”
they remember. The final closing of the area was, as one might guess, due to the
rising cost of insurance.
operated a lodge with a small foodservice concession- “a burger was
twenty-five cents,” Henry recalls. Three tows operated: a 400 footer to one
side was for beginners; a 600 footer ran up “the big hill,” and a shorter
tow ran at the top of this area to carry experts up another 200 foot length. The
overall vertical rise of the area was about 400 feet, and ten or twelve distinct
runs were available to skiers.
To read about the current operation of the ski area, click here:
Steve Kijak has directions: To find this area, first drive to Millers Falls. From their take West Main St. west to Millers Falls Rd west (toward Turners Falls and airport). Take a right onto East Mineral Rd. Look for a radio tower on a hill to the left. The trails started at the tower location (this is West Mineral Hill). You will see a log home on the left. This is where the lodge was located.
Head back to Lost Massachusetts Ski Areas
Head back to the Main Page