Before 1949-Early 1980's
Thanks to Dave Adams, owner of the East Hill Farm, we now know the complete history of this rope tow area. A 600 foot tow served skiers on one slope from the late 1940's until the early 1980's. Here's some more information from Dave:
"The rope tow operated weather permitting weekends and school vacation weeks until the early eighties. There was no grooming equipment at that time, it depended entirely on natural snow conditions, snow shovels and strong backs.
Many local youngsters
and guests learned to ski on this small hill. There was originally a snow
school. The rope tow was started to supplement the small dairy operation
along with a few house guests run by E. Parker Whitcomb. The property
had been in the Whitcomb family for three generations, and remained in
the family until the mid 1970's.
|The ski tow was discontinued and a cross country trail system was enlarged, which continues to be in use today. The Inn has grown since the days of the rope tow. It now has the capacity to hold 150 house guests, it has an indoor pool, whirlpool and sauna, and an enclosed skating rink. Today the emphasis here at the Inn at East Hill Farm is family farm vacations. (X-C Ski photo courtesy of the Inn at East Hill Farm.)|
For more information pertaining to the Inn, check out our website at www.east-hill-farm.com."
Head back to Lost New Hampshire Ski Areas
Head back to the Main Page