Around 1938-At least 1953
The Elm Tree Slope was typical of many early New Hampshire ski areas. It was first founded in the late 1930's as a hike up and ski down area run by the Keene Outing Club. Then, in 1940 a 500 foot rope tow was added to help skiers access the slope. After World War II, Elm Tree was taken over the Keene Recreation Office, and the tow was extended to 800 feet in length. The area operated until at least 1953. This is probably not the Keene Tows area, which had 2 ropes.
Elm Tree by the Year:
|1938-1939||none||novice slope||100 foot drop, operated by Keene Outing Club||The Skier's Guide to New England, NH Winter Sports Map|
|1940-1941||500 foot tow||1/2 mile long intermediate trail and 1/5 mile long novice trail||none||NH Winter Sports Map|
|1947-1949||same||open slope||Telephone number for area: 1966-M, located on Rte 9||NH Winter Map|
|1951||800 foot tow||open slope||Located 4 miles on Bellow Falls Road, warming hut. Operated 130pm-600pm weekends and possibly nights, by Recreation Office.||NH Winter Guide|
|1953||800 foot tow||open slope||Open Sat. all day, Sun. noon to dark. Operated by Keene Rec Office||Ski NH Winter Guide|
Do you remember this area? If so, let us know.
Head back to Lost NH Ski Areas
Head back to the Main Page