Before 1938-At least 1941
|Huckin's Hill had one of the
first overhead lifts in New England. It was founded by Fred Pabst, who
also founded such areas as Oak Hill and Bromley.
Huckin's Hill had an 1800' j-bar (hook tow) which served a 350' drop in
Plymouth. The area closed in the 1940's, when Pabst opened Bromley and
removed the J-bar, moving it to that mountain.
Today, nothing remains. The hill is clearly visible from Rte 93N, but no former trails are visible, most likely because its been almost 60 years!
Here's a "trail map" of the area, late 1930's. Courtesy New England Ski Museum. Rte 93 roughly follows the railroad track shown in this picture.
||A sign found in the Treetops Sylvan restaurant in Plymouth, showing conditions at Huckins Hill and other Plymouth areas.|
Huckin's Hill by the Year:
|1938-1939||1800' lift||6 trails, 1/4-3/4 mile long||350' vertical drop||1938-1939 NH Winter Sports Map|
|1939||1800' tow||0.75miles long, 60-100' wide trails, average slope 30 degrees, open to all classes of skiers||north exposure, needs 12" of snow to operate||1939 Skier's Guide to New England|
|1940-1941||1800' "hook-type" overhead cable tow||trails .25-.75miles long, all grades of skiers, open slope||none||NH Winter Map|
Head back to Lost NH Ski Areas
Head back to the Main Page