~1940's - 1950's
Meddie Perry first informed NELSAP of this ski area:
"This ski area has been closed since the 1950's or maybe 1960's. As its name suggests, it never held snow very well and closed as a result. This south-facing ski hill had a rope tow and about 400' of vertical. The trails are completely overgrown, although some rope tow pieces can still be found in the woods. The bottom of the hill has been turned into a gravel pit. It is located at the end of what is now called Sam Hill Road off of NH Route 11, about 2 miles west of the Franklin town line. Driving up Route 11, look north across the farm; the large wooded hill in the foreground is the old ski area."
Several guidebooks help piece together some more information. Here's Sunny Slopes history by the year:
|1939||1000 foot rope tow||Slope 0.4miles long, 20 acres of skiing, vertical drop 300 feet||Sunny Slopes first year of operation, operated by the Franklin Outing Club||The Skier's Guide to New England|
|1940-1941||same||Novice and intermediate skiing, 20 acres, runs up to 2000 feet. Trails at top of hill, one trail top to base||none||NH Winter Map|
|1947-1948||same||Novice and intermediate||Warming and observation hut||NH Winter Map|
|1950's||probably same||probably same||Sunny Slopes closes, year unknown||Meddie Perry|
Anybody else remember this area?
Head back to Lost New Hampshire Ski Areas
Head back to the Main Page