This small ski area in Springfield has an interesting history. It operated from the 1940's until 1977 when the Springfield Ski Club donated it to the town. It was then abandoned until 1985 when it was restored and reopened. There's a possibility that it still may be open. Read on for details.
(Ski Vermont Article, VT Life Magazine, 1948)
There was a small rope tow area operating in Springfield that year.
(State of Vermont, Department of Labor and Industry, Tramway Report)
For these years a 1000 foot tow was in operation.
(Vermont Life Article, Let's Go Vermont Skiing by David Rogers, Winter 1987)
This is the year they closed. The Springfield Ski Club donated the tow to the town but it was subsequently abandoned.
The Town of Springfield reopens the tow for all.
The following is the clipping from that year.
The town of Springfield operates a 1000 foot tow in operation since 1985. The Springfield Ski Club actually began in the 1940's, but when the club donated it to the town in 1977, it was abandoned. Now, thanks to the local Lion's Club, the area has been resurrected. Despite problems with vandals stealing the first 600 feet of rope the first year, and trouble with summer damage to the warming hut, Ted Chivers, one of the Lions Club Members working to keep the area going, hopes to add some night skiing soon. Hours are 11am to