Late 1930's-Early 1940's
Thanks to Vic Dumas of Warren, we now know about this lost area, the first one in the Sugarbush Region.
According to Vic, it was located just south of the intersection of Main Street and Route 100. In fact, today, Route 100 goes through the former base of the ski area, where the warming hut used to be. The landscape has change dramatically in the 70 plus years since this area last operated.
The area was founded by the Warren Outing Club, including Charlie Townsend from New York and Charlie Lord, who would go on to play a prominent role at Stowe. The tow was built with components from a tow near Woodstock which Alden Bettes was sent down to pick up...which tow it was is in question. Local farmers David McNeil, Herb Lair, and Fred Elliot were also involved.
The area charged 25 cents for kids, and 50 cents for adults, with free passes for those who packed the slope after a storm. The engine was a Buick that ran on gasoline.
The area had a wide slope and a trail in the woods. An old stone wall was removed where it had gone across the slope. It was
The area closed due to World War II, like many small ski areas.
Today, the area is just south of a gravel pit and is mostly reforested, and nothing remains.
Little else is known about this area. If you remember this ski area, just let us know.
Last Updated: Jan 21, 2014
Head back to Lost VT Ski Areas
Head back to the Main Page